Thursday, February 28, 2013

And It Won't Let You Leave


Think back to a time when you watched a scary movie for the first time.  You were probably in high school watching it with a big group of friends; at least I hope you were.  No one likes watching scary movies by themselves. 

That is part of the social aspect that draws us all to the T.V. watching a horror film.  Our friends have a huge influence over us. They convince us to do things that will benefit us and they convince us to do things, like watching movies, which will give us nightmares for the next week. 

However, we all have fear toward our friends.  Nobody enjoys being judged by others, especially by our friends.  I believe this is part of the reason why we make ourselves sit for hours and watch something that will terrify us.  We fear that judgment from our friends.  We don’t want to look weak and vulnerable.

I know my first experience watching a scary movie was like that.  I did not want to watch that movie, but of course it was around Halloween and you have to watch scary movies at that time of year.  I was with a big group of my friends along with some people who I didn't know.  I definitely didn't want to look like I was afraid of just a fictional movie.  I had never been so extremely happy for a movie to end.  When the movie was over we all began talking about our favorite parts.  Most of them recapped the most terrifying scenes, while others of us did nothing but explain how grateful we were that the movie was over.
 
I know nobody completely enjoyed that film.  I remember seeing almost everyone covering their faces in the pillows, blankets, or the arm of the person next to them during various parts of the movie.  You don’t cover your face if you like the movie.

We all stayed through the entire movie, even though we were all scared.  We were all more scared of the judgment we would get from everyone else.  I know that is part of the reason I stayed the whole time; that, and my ride home was staying to finish the movie too.     

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked your analysis of social fear and relating it to the real fear we feel when watching a horror film. However, personally, I enjoy watching horror films. The suspense and fear I feel while watching a scary movie is exciting and fun to share with friends. You make a very valid point, that in general, we are all scared of looking lame or dumb in front of our friends. Whether your friends are trying to convince you to watch a scary movie you dont want to see, or do something else stupid, it is the social fear we feel that pushes us to do things we dont want to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true. I probably should have worded it different to make it incorporate people as a whole. I, personally, don't like horror films so that is probably why I phrased it the way I did. But I am glad that you understood my point on the fear we get from those people around us. That was my main point of this post.

      Delete
  3. I think you are making a valid point in showing how people are often pressured into watching horror films, and why it happens. I have known quite a few people who have been pressured into watching horror films, and have hated every minute of it. I do think though the absolute statement of no one enjoys horror films could be false. I know of lots of people who will scream and hide their face during horror movies but love every minute of it because they enjoy the rush of being afraid. I think your argument would be a lot stronger if you focused on those individuals who expressed their gratitude for the movie being over than those who recapped the most terrifying scenes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am seeing that I should have phrased this differently. Most people agree that not everyone completely despises horror films, some people do enjoy it. I do think I should have found a way to incorporate my main point without being too general in my conclusion. But thank you for your thoughts.

      Delete
  4. I like how you related to us as young adults in general. We've all been in those situations, and we know the feeling. I like how you brought out that we fear being judged. Fear of judgment by others prompts us to do crazy things. My dad taught me all growing up that it doesn't matter what people think; is that your argument here? I'm not sure I was able to catch the main thrust of the article. Maybe I missed it somewhere. Is this piece to help us realize the social phenomenon, are you trying to convince us to act a certain way, etc? This post was very well-written, and had smooth transitions. I like you use of words here: not too flowery, and very entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The main point of this post was pretty much to point out how people fear judgment from others in general. I used the topic of a horror film to present that. I do think I could have pointed out what my main point was better. But thank you I am glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete